Our Beloved St Lawrence Church
Download more details here.
On July 13, 1931 the Most Reverend Thomas Charles O’Reilly, Bishop of Scranton announced the establishment of St. Lawrence Parish in the Borough of South Williamsport, County of Lycoming, Pennsylvania. The first Pastor would be Father Raymond E. Larkin. The first Mass and installation of Father Larkin as Pastor took place on August 10th, the feast of St. Lawrence. It was attended by 2000+ people and concelebrated with Bishop O’Reilly.
Mass was originally held in the South Williamsport Community Hall. Land was purchased from Mr. Romie Steinbacher, Mr. Ben Bruno, and Mr. Ralph Jones. In May 1932 ground was broken for the new Church. It was of simple wood frame, shingle covered building. This Church was built in great part by the actual labor of its members who did work in lieu of money to fulfill their pledge obligations. Local parishes also aided in the Capital needs for the new building. The new Church was dedicated in October 1932.
The parish continued to grow from World War II through today. Membership increased remarkably under Father James H. O’Hara from 1946-1951. Father Thomas Knight became Pastor in 1951 following Father James O’Hara. A school and convent were completed in September 1966, and dedicated by the Most Reverend J. Carroll McCormick, Bishop of Scranton.
Rev. Joseph Breslin served the parish from 1966 to 1990. During his tenure a Saturday Mass was added, brick facing was placed on the outside of the Church, an organ purchased, and an ambitious interior renovation was completed. The school and convent were closed in 1972.
Father Tamalis served as pastor from 1990 until 1996. A narthex, rear sacristy, and restrooms were added. Additional interior work took place. From 1996 until 2007 Rev. Francis Pauselli served as the Pastor. The Church Hall was added allowing for ministry in bereavement, scripture study, and fellowship activities.
Rev. Thomas Sinnott served as Pastor from 2005-2006 followed by Rev. Michael Zipay from 2006-2009.
In July 2009 the parish was linked with St. Boniface in Williamsport and Msgr. Stephen McGough, Pastor of St. Boniface also became the Pastor of St. Lawrence Church. Membership now numbers over 400 families and through the spiritual leadership of its Pastor’s and the generosity and dedication of its parishioner’s the parish continues to serve as the territorial parish for areas South of the Susquehanna river in Lycoming County.